What is a MERV rating?
The EPA says: "Minimum Efficiency Reporting Values, or MERVs, report a filter's ability to capture particles between 0.3 and 10 microns (µm)."
- This value is helpful in comparing the performance of all the different brands of filters out there.
The rating is derived from a test method developed by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) [see www.ashrae.org].
- The higher the MERV rating the better the filter is at trapping specific types of particles.
- Allergy Issues? We recommend a MERV 11-13 filter.
- Harsh Environment (beach, fire-prone areas, high dust/pollen)? We recommend a MERV 11-13 filter.
- No significant issues, just need basic filtration? MERV 6 filters at a minimum will keep you OK.